Wednesday, September 9, 2015

My First Blog

Alright....

The time is 14:51 and I have just finished teaching a group of PreAP Algebra 2 students.  And let me just say that this year is going to be FUN!  I am so excited about where we are all going in math this year.

A little backgound...Towards the end of the last school year, I decided that I was going to transform what my classroom looked like.  I read almost anything I can get my hands on.  I have watched almost all TED talks out there about mathematics education.  I am changing the system from within.  Well, I may not change the system, but I am certainly changing my own little part of the system.

The following is a list of books and videos that I have read and watched that have greatly influenced my decision to be a part of change and help transform the status quo.  These are not in any particular order...

Videos
Conrad Wolfram: Teaching Kids Real Math with Computers


Dan Meyer: Math Classrooms need a makeover

Chris Lehman: Education is Broken


Books:
Teaching Numeracy: 9 Critical Habits to Ignite Mathematical Thinking by Margie Pearse
Introduction to Mathematical Thinking by Keith Devlin

Books that I will soon read:
What's Math Got to Do with It?: How Teachers and Parents Can Transform Mathematics Learning and Inspire Success by Jo Boeler

I also have spent numerous hours reading this blog about "Shift"....Mind Shift

I just wanted to publish this, my first blog, that I am on the brink of change.  I am changing the way I think.  I am changing the way I teach.  I am hopefully changing the the way Math Education is taught in my little neck of the woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment